The easiest thing in the world to do is to walk up to a meat counter and ask for a cut of meat. There are ways that buyers can insure that the procurement of meat products is humane and supports their companies CSR initiatives.
The Certified Humane Raised and Handled program is the only farm animal welfare and food labeling program in the U.S. dedicated to improving the welfare of farm animals from birth through slaughter for the 10 billion farm animals raised for food each year.
Here are six simple steps that meat buyers can take in order to support humane treatment of farm animals while also support more socially responsible procurement practices.
1. Ask your meat suppliers for and only buy products labeled Certified Humane Raised and Handled® when available.
2. If your suppliers do not carry these products ask your suppliers sales representative fort their plan in writing to stock foods that are Certified Humane Raised and Handled®.
3. Contact the Humane Farm Animal Care and ask them to send you some brochures that you can distribute internally in order to educate other meat buyers and management about this program.
4. Encourage all of your meat brands and brands that contain meat products to become certified and to use Certified Humane Raised and Handled® ingredients in their products.
5. Continue to educate yourself by signing up for email and news updates on this subject.
6. Support the Humane Raised and Handled® program with your own CSR initiatives by donating to this program which tries to make a difference to the more than 10 billion farm animals raised for food in the US each year.
We look forward to and appreciate your comments.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.