With all the talk about becoming green today it is important to understand the necessary steps required to achieve that goal. A resource that many are not aware of that you can work with to accomplish your green objectives is your local government’s Green Business Coordinator. He or she can provide guidance if you have questions or need assistance meeting green requirements. There are also many rebate programs that can help compensate you for facility changes required in your green pursuit. Please take the time to speak with your Coordinator before beginning to go green.
Below are some steps you can take to move your facilities in a green direction.
1. Mount occupancy sensors on lighting fixtures in low occupancy areas.
2. Upgrade incandescent bulbs to compact fluorescent lights.
3. Install ultra efficient ballasts unit to mute lights to benefit from daylight.
4. Control lighting, refrigeration and HVAC with an energy management system.
5. Improve present fluorescent lighting with T-8 lamps with electronic ballasts T-8 systems use up to 40% less energy than T-12 systems).
6. Put in a programmable thermostat to manage heating and air conditioning.
7. All major hot water pipes should be insulated.
8. Refrigeration cold suction lines should be insulated.
9. Plant shrubs or trees near windows for natural shade.
10. Fill air gaps around doors and windows with weather stripping.
11. Choose electrical equipment with energy saving features (e.g. Energy Star).
12. Use computer hardware programs that conserve energy by automatically turning off idle monitors and printers.
13. Install plastic strip curtains on refrigerator and freezer doors.
14. Upgrade hot water heaters to on-demand systems.
15. Install a solar powered water heater or pre-heater.
16. Decrease the number of lamps and increase lighting effectiveness by installing optical reflectors or diffusers.
17. Add desk lamps to work spaces in to reduce the need for overhead lighting.
18. Install ceiling fans to circulate air.
We hope these steps help with your thinking in your road to becoming greener company.
We look forward to and appreciate your comments