If you want to make insure that your company is doing the right thing relative to product safety and supporting the environment, the following ten steps will point you in the right direction. How many are you doing already?
1. Be pro-active in driving product safety within your company and also supporting eco-standards in the procurement process that support your companies CSR initiatives.
2. Pay it forward with all of your trading partners by sharing what you are doing, how you are doing it and asking them what they are doing to support yours or similar initiatives.
3. Educate your employees and trading partners about common safety standards and guidelines such as the SQF Certificate www.sqfi.com or ISO 22000.
4. Educate your employees and trading partners about common eco-standards such as Green- Energy National Standard www.green-e.org or EcoLogo www.ecologo.org.
5. Point associates and trading partners to free educational websites such as www.safesourcing.com to use their free SafeSourcing Wiki or the Sourcebook professional social network for procurement professionals.
6. Only use trading partners that follow your lead.
7. Train your team to understand and use all available tools that insure supply chain safety such the free daily safety in sourcing blog at www.safesourcing.com or the low cost SafeSourceIt Supplier Database and Reverse Auction Tools.
8. Impose a system of measures and controls to monitor performance against clearly defined goals.
9. Start at the top and engage all levels of your company.
10. Measure your company’s progress with Triple Bottom Line Accounting or TBL.
We look forward to and appreciate you comments.