We all enjoy a soda from time to time, but does anyone ever think about how it was manufactured ...
Today’s post is by Steven Belvin, Sr. Account Manager at SafeSourcing.
We all enjoy a soda from time to time, but does anyone ever think about how it was manufactured and botted to later be sold? Fun fact about the origins of soda is that it is believed to have been created in the 1700s. www.madehow.com explains that here: “In the late 1700s Europeans and Americans began drinking the sparkling mineral water for its reputed therapeutic benefits. The first imitation mineral water in the U.S. was patented in 1809. It was called “soda water” and consisted of water and sodium bicarbonate mixed with acid to add effervescence.” Obvious these delicious drinks have been around for some time now. But that still does not answer the “how does it get on the shelf?” question. Well it is actually broken down into 5 simple steps as seen below:
- Clarifying the water – Filter the water until it reaches the desired pH level by adding ferric sulphate or aluminum sulphate into the water causing the floc to expand so it can then be filtered out.
- Filtering, sterilizing, and dechlorinating the water.
- Mixing the ingredients – the dissolved sugars and flavor concentrates are pumped and conveyed into batch tanks, where then the water and syrup are carefully combined until the desired flavor has be achieved.
- Carbonating the beverage – once the liquid is at a controlled temperature the carbonation is added. The amount of carbon dioxide used is dependent upon the type of soft drink.
- Filling and Packaging – Finally the drink is distributed into its correct bottle or can and is then sealed and sits in the warehouse until it is ready to be distributed to multiple locations across the world.
As you can see there is so much more that goes into making those delicious drinks than Coke™ or Pepsi™ may want you to see. Another aspect of this would be how does it get sold to the store? This is where a company like SafeSourcing may come into play. We work with multiple companies to help them find the right soda company for them. So why not give us a call yourself and see what we can save you on your soda, plastic goods, labeling and much much more.
For more information on how SafeSourcing can assist your team with this process or on our “Risk Free” trial program, please contact a SafeSourcing Customer Service Representative. We have an entire customer services team waiting to assist you today.
Avizienis, Audra. “Soft Drink.” How Products Are Made. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 May 2017.