Aren’t pallets all the same; other than size and shape, what makes them different and should I own or pool (use a managed service)?
Today’s post from our SafeSourcing, Inc Archives
Use of Pallets: While pallets and palletization were once considered to be powerful components of material handling strategy, today, industry takes the practice largely for granted. When the palletization concept was first introduced, however, it had a dramatic impact on the improvement of material handling efficiency. Rail cars, for example, that had taken two days to unload could subsequently be unloaded in just one or two hours. Palletized products can be moved more quickly than by the manual handling of individual palletized cartons.
Benefits of this quicker handling include:
• Faster turnaround of delivery vehicle and increasing operational efficiency of transport equipment
• Dramatically reduced labor requirement versus manual handling
• Reduced risk of temperature abuse for perishable products on unrefrigerated docks
• With less manual handling there is less risk of product damage and reduced risk of worker injury. Palletized products can be moved more efficiently and stored more efficiently in warehouses and customers often prefer the receipt of palletized goods.
• Pallets provide drainage and circulation for commodities requiring this, including fresh produce.
Grades of pallets: The GMA (Grocery Manufacturer Association) has determined the standard in which pallets are graded and thus is broken into four (4) different categories. Each category is a guideline to use when buying or selling pallets. The problem is that each category is open for interpretation and it’s important to verify exactly what you’re getting. Each category will have a price range and the price range will vary from region to region. The price will also vary based on the amount of available reconditioned pallets. Below are the four (4) different grading categories and their corresponding condition.
• Premium – A very clean pallet that has probably been used only a few times. There is little if any repairs to the pallet. The pallet will have no plates and no companion stringers.
• Grade #1 or A Grade – Typically this pallet has been repaired to close to its original condition. Broken stringers may have been replaced or repaired with metal plates. All damaged deck boards are replaced. This is a fairly clean pallet that is structurally sound.
• Grade #2 or B Grade – Typically this pallet has had stringer damage that has been repaired by attaching an additional stringer alongside the damaged one. This is commonly referred to as a companion stringer, block stringer and double stringer. The “B” grade pallets usually have two (2) or less repaired stringers. The deck configuration on the “B” grade pallet is not always consistent because these pallets have been repaired many times.
• Grade #3 or C Grade – Typically this pallet has been repaired numerous times. Most of the stringers on a “C” grade pallet will have companion stringers. The deck boards will be inconsistent in size, spacing and thickness. These pallets are usually in very poor condition and are accepted by few companies.
Owned vs Pool pallets: Many companies choose to buy their own fleet of pallets, but this is not always the best or most efficient thing to do. What you need to consider…
• Cost: Depending on the amount of goods a company needs to transport, it can be very expensive to buy and upgrade a pallet fleet.
• Management and tracking: Managing and tracking a rental fleet can be very hard work, if mismanaged, it can create huge problems if goods cannot be transported when needed.
• Maintenance and cleaning: Once purchased, pallets will need to be continually repaired and cleaned in between usage, requiring the manpower, space and equipment to do this.
• Storage: When not in use, pallets can take up a lot of space, which is inefficient and costly.
• Fleet fluctuations: If a company suddenly has an increased order, or an order that requires a special type of pallet, then buying them just for these rare occasions is wasteful, as the rest of the time the overflow will just be gathering dust in storage
• Flexible: You can rent as many or as few pallets as you need for each specific shipment, meaning you’re never over or under stretch with your pallet fleet.
• Management and tracking: The pooling company can use their own specialist up-to-date management and tracking systems meaning you doesn’t have to worry about it.
• Cleaning and maintenance: After each hire, the pallets will be inspected, repaired and cleaned by the pallet pooling company, before they are sent out again. This means that you don’t need to worry at all about the expense of doing this yourself, and you know all the pallets will be up to standard before each use.
• Storage: Once you’ve finished with the pallets you just need to hand them back to the pooling company with no need to set aside valuable space to store them.
As you see there are many things to consider before buying or pooling pallets in your business. Should you own pallets or use a service to manage them? What type of pallet do you really need? We at SafeSourcing are ready to help you through all the questions and help you lower your procurement costs. For more information on how we can help you with your procurement needs or on our “Risk Free” trial program, please contact a SafeSourcing Customer Service Representative. We have an entire customer services team waiting to assist you today.
We look forward to your comments
20 Responses to “It’s just a pallet; or is it? Part II of II”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
DreamProxies – Most economical USA Private Proxies: Top notch top quality, Limitless data transfer, 1000 mb/s superspeed, 99,9 uptime, Not for sequential IP’s, Virtually no consumption limitations, Many subnets, USA or maybe European countries proxies – Obtain At this moment – DreamProxies.com
ï»¿yar diyemezwsin sevdam yere
Here is a great Blog You might Find Fascinating that we encourage you to visit.
Here are some links to websites that we link to due to the fact we assume they are really worth visiting.
we came across a cool web-site that you just could enjoy. Take a appear when you want
always a major fan of linking to bloggers that I enjoy but dont get a great deal of link love from
just beneath, are many completely not related websites to ours, however, they’re surely worth going over
always a significant fan of linking to bloggers that I enjoy but really don’t get quite a bit of link enjoy from
Here is a good Weblog You may Find Intriguing that we Encourage You
here are some links to websites that we link to since we feel they are really worth visiting
Sites of interest we’ve a link to
Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine several unrelated information, nevertheless definitely worth taking a appear, whoa did 1 find out about Mid East has got additional problerms too
we came across a cool web-site that you simply may well appreciate. Take a look should you want
always a huge fan of linking to bloggers that I like but do not get lots of link adore from
we like to honor numerous other online web-sites on the internet, even when they arent linked to us, by linking to them. Below are some webpages worth checking out
that may be the finish of this post. Here you will uncover some internet sites that we think youll value, just click the links over
Wonderful story, reckoned we could combine a couple of unrelated information, nonetheless really really worth taking a look, whoa did one study about Mid East has got extra problerms also
very couple of internet websites that happen to become comprehensive beneath, from our point of view are undoubtedly properly worth checking out
Sites of interest we’ve a link to
One more thing. It’s my opinion that there are a lot of travel insurance web-sites of dependable companies that allow you to enter your journey details and get you the estimates. You can also purchase the international travel cover policy online by using your own credit card. Everything you need to do should be to enter your travel information and you can understand the plans side-by-side. Just find the system that suits your financial budget and needs and after that use your bank credit card to buy it. Travel insurance on the web is a good way to check for a respected company to get international holiday insurance. Thanks for discussing your ideas.