Todays post is by Ron Southard, CEO at SafeSourcing Inc.
If used properly a large supplier database like SafeSourceIt™ Global Supplier Database provides companies with readily accessible data that supports growing their spend with e-procurement tools
Companies should have continuing success when running prior e-procurement events over again, one area of commonality that has historically made this difficult is a lack of new sources of supply.
There is a proper way to ensure the sustainability of your eSourcing events such as RFI’s RFP’s and RFQ’s or Reverse auctions going forward. Since you have already conducted or should have conducted a detailed discovery the 1st time around a robust supplier database like the SafeSourceIt™ Global Supplier Database Query Tool with over 500,000 supplier companies will allow you to do the following based on up to date vetted data.
- Conduct a detailed supplier discovery
- Rank the suppliers
- By Size
- By Experience
- By References
- By Environmental certifications
- By Safety Certifications
- By Location
- Develop a three-year supplier game plan
- Identify suppliers for each category over the sourcing horizon
- Develop a three-year supplier rotation bidding schedule
- Ask the following questions
- What suppliers will I invite and why
- Keep in mind the unique benefits of distributors vs. manufacturers
- Discuss potential award of business strategies
If you don’t have a reliable new source of supplier information and only use the same suppliers that you originally used to conduct your category sourcing events, don’t expect continuing savings as you really don’t have the appropriate leverage points. If you don’t know where to access this type of data, please contact SafeSourcing.
We look forward to and appreciate your comments.