Snow removal – services, equipment, and supplies.
Today’s post is by Gayl Southard, Administrative Consultant for SafeSourcing.
After a three-week holiday in, Ohio we prepared for three-day journey back to Arizona. We had not encountered any significant weather on the way to Ohio, but learned that our final day would entail heavy snow from Albuquerque, NM to Sedona, AZ. By the time we reached Flagstaff, it was white-out conditions. We had left snowy conditions behind us some thirteen years ago when we moved to Arizona and I was not ready to drive through wintery conditions.
I had grown up in New Hampshire and I was used to significant snow. I can remember shoveling our long driveway, walkway, as well as my mother’s clothesline area (yes, the olden days). We had shovels, sand, and salt at the ready. Growing up in a large family, there were many helping hands to get the job done.
Times have changed now. Many people own their own snow blowers; some have trucks with plows attached, some hire the work out, and some people still do it the old-fashioned way by shoveling.
I researched the snow removal process and phases during a major snow storm. I learned the following:
During the Snowfall
- Snow crews focus on keeping main arteries open for emergency vehicles and public transportation (red primary routes). This includes snow emergency routes, arterial streets, high volume routes, bus routes, and roads to hospitals, fire stations, police stations, and metro stations.
- Plowing begins when snow reaches 2-4 inches deep.
- When accumulation is less than 2 inches, the roadways are only treated (sand or salt).
After the Snowfall
- Snow crews clean snow from all streets and county trails as soon as possible.
- Neighborhood streets are cleared last.
- After a severe storm (greater than 10 inches), it may take 36-48 hours after the snow stops falling for snow crews to start clearing residential areas.
SafeSourcing can research your snow removal needs, whether its services, equipment or supplies. Want to try us out risk free? Please contact a SafeSourcing Customer Service Representative. We have an entire customer services team waiting to assist you today.
We look forward to your comments.